My Heritage, Your Holiday!
The second project meeting
Spain, Villanueva de la Serena : 24-28 February, 2014
The objectives of the second meeting in Spain:
- Getting to know the school in Villanueva de la Serena;
- Students getting to know each other through various workshops, living in host families and socializing;
- Presenting human heritage through presenting UNESCO sites;
- Arranging the plan and setting the details for the next meeting;
- Presenting education school systems from each country;
- Getting to know the local culture by means of thematic visits; understanding the elements of Spanish cultural identity;
- Improvement of skills regarding communication in English, the language of the project.
- Improvement of ICT skills.
During the second project meeting, the activities have been continuously connected to the objectives of the project as follows:
The first day of the meeting (23 February, 2014) consisted of the arrival of the European teams of teachers from Madrid and Portugal. The students and the teachers gathered in Pedro de Valdivia High school where they had a students’ guided tour of the school followed by the welcoming speech given by the headteacher Juan Carlos Andres Chico. The Spanish coordinator presented the timetable for the meeting. Croatia and Italy presented their students, teachers and schools through a video clip and PP presentation. The students went to their host families. The teachers had a welcome dinner.
The second day of the meeting (24 February, 2014) started with the presentation of Merida by a Latin teacher from the Spanish school, followed by presentations of UNESCO sites and presentations of schools. The Spanish students presented Santa Maria de Guadalupe and Caceres, the French students presented Cirque de Gavamie, Canal du Midi and Episcopal city of Albi, the Croatian students presented Split and Dubrovnik, the English students presented Cornish mining region, the Romanian students presented Oradea, Portugese students presented Porto, Angra de Heroismo, Duoro Vale, Ilha Dorico and the Italian students presented a film on how to live ad UNESCO sites Barumini, the Geo mineral park and Canto tenore.
After the presentations, a couple of Spanish students asked some questions about the project, which were answered by the coordinators of the project.
A guided tour of Villanueva de la Serena was led by the Spanish students and included a visit to the town hall and cathedral.
After that we went on a trip to Medellin and visited the Roman Amphitheatre and the castle.
On the third day of the project (26 February, 2014) we went to Forges Medina and visited the Roman Amphitheatre, Museum, the Roman house and a Muslim castle. After that we visited a town of Caceres where we had a guided tour through medieval city walls. Then we stopped in Trujillo to see the medieval castle. The visit was to promote the UNESCO sites of the region.
The fourth day of the project (27 February, 2014) we had another meeting at school and discussed/did the following:
– The education systems in our countries, comparison between compulsory and optional education, school timetables and school year, discussing strong and weak points of our education systems
– The project logo – each school made a logo and school teams voted for the best one which would represent the project and become a project logo – the Croatian logo won and became the project logo
– The Spanish school presented the web page and the others gave suggestions on what else the web site should have; each school should upload their materials or send them to the Spanish school to do so
– The French school presented the framework of the dictionary and showed what had been down until then; the Croatian school is to prepare a new list of vocabulary by the end of March; the English school will reread it and do necessary corrections and send it to the others, the deadline to finish the dictionary is the beginning of May
– The French school presented a framework of a digital brochure; the partners agreed that materials should be collected after each meeting and sent to the French school; two parts should be covered – methodology and gallery (4-5 photos per every 2 pages, only photos taken ourselves); materials should be prepared in a Word document
– France suggested the promotion of our project on eTwinning and will be in charge of that activity
– The Croatian school gave a suggestion on the program outline for the Croatia meeting in May; all partners should make a promotional material (leaflet, flyer, poster, video clip, etc.) on healthy eating habits and how to protect yourself while being active outdoors; each country should bring a poster of some national park or natural park
– At the same time students participated in different workshops Getting to know each other, then a class on Greek mythology and finally some sport activities
– Both the teachers and the students filled in the evaluation form to assess the project meeting.
The project meeting finished on Friday, 28 February, 2014, when the partners left Villanueva de la Serena.
The results of this project meeting are a very rewarding and efficient meeting and agreement about the mobilities, tasks and communication among the partners.
The success of this meeting resides in the wonderful organization and interesting programme made by the Spanish team. Communication in English all along the mobility as well as a good communication among all the participants in the meeting is another advantage on the list, especially among the students who learnt a lot of words from different languages.
Photographs, PPTs, travel impressions, newly acquired cultural information and lifelong friendships are other fruitful results of this project meeting.